The CMS Competition & EU group has more than 225 competition lawyers in 48 cities in 35 countries, making it one of the largest competition teams in Europe. Our widespread local presence - complemented by the CMS EU Law Office in Brussels is virtually unparalleled in Europe.
Competition and regulatory authorities now possess far-reaching powers to investigate companies and commercial arrangements, prohibit M&A deals, force divestment of merged businesses, review markets and impose penalties. There is the additional risk of private enforcement such as substantial (follow-on) antitrust damages claims. It is critical to remain compliant and implement effective risk mitigation strategies.
We aim to solve problems and, where possible, to help you avoid them in the first place.
Our large team of competition lawyers has extensive experience in helping navigate these difficult paths – so you can focus on your business. We have in-depth knowledge of competition rules across different countries and markets.
Competition & EU group
- This group has more than 225 competition lawyers in 48 cities across 35 countries, making it one of the largest competition teams in Europe. Our widespread local presence - complemented by the CMS EU Law Office in Brussels – is virtually unparalleled in Europe.
Working across borders
- We combine formidable cross-border capacity with a deep understanding of how competition rules apply in practice in different markets
- Our wide, hands-on experience of dealing with both the European Commission and the EU's national competition authorities and sector regulators, as well as European and national courts, helps us find optimal strategies for our clients. And with a growing presence in China, Latin America and Africa, we offer global solutions to your competition law challenges
- Our global approach is reflected in a broad offering and highly successful track record. In addition to our local advice, we often coordinate work involving other jurisdictions outside Europe.
Delivering commercial solutions
- As well as being experts in the theory and practice of competition law, we understand what it means to your industry and your business. CMS is built around sector specialisms, enabling us to understand your commercial and regulatory environment and deliver practical real-world solutions. Our lawyers are frequently praised for their pragmatic, business-oriented approach – getting to grips with the issues that matter most to our clients.
Covering every angle
We act for clients in all areas of competition law:
- Distribution agreements and arrangements with potential horizontal and vertical restraints
- Abuse of dominance
- Merger control (particularly involving complex, multi-jurisdictional filings)
- Private enforcement
- State aid
- Investigations and compliance.
We are among the market leaders in damage claims proceedings, representing claimants as well as defendants. And, of course, we regularly advise on day-to-day competition issues, including commercial agreements and compliance programmes, as well as providing competition law training and audits for clients.
The group has recently launched the CMS Dawn Raid App, letting clients benefit from real-time dawn raid assistance via their smartphone in 27 countries where CMS operates.
Please reach out to any of our Competition & EU lawyers should you have an issue to explore.
See our most recent CMS Expert Guides on Competition Law and State Aid Law in Europe in the Covid-19 crisis. For the very latest legal updates from CMS expert lawyers delivered directly to your inbox, sign up to the Law-Now subscription service now.