José Luís Arnaut
José Luís Arnaut
Rua Sousa Martins 10
José Luís has a vast experience on legal strategic advice to public and private companies. His main areas of practice include restructuring, privatisations, mergers and acquisitions and private equity.
His career has started has a lawyer within the practice area of intellectual property law with special focus on patent, trademarks, domain names, new technologies and competition law, areas where José Luís reached high level of recognition.
- He is a member of the board of several national and international entities
- Founding Partner of CMS Rui Pena & Arnaut
- José Luís Arnaut is, since 1992, European Patents Attorney at the European Patent Office (Munich)
- He is, since 1996, European Trademarks Attorney at the Office for Harmonisation of the Internal Market of the European Union (Alicante) and Official Agent of Intellectual Property at I.N.P.I – Instituto Nacional da Propriedade Industrial
- He has integrated in 1996 the Commission for the Follow-up and Revision of the Code of Intellectual Property and between 1998 and 1999 he has been a Member of the Commission for the Revision of the Code of Intellectual Property
- José Luís was member of the Portuguese Parliament for 12 years
- He was Deputy Prime Minister (José Manuel Durão Barroso) between 2002 and 2004 and Minister for Cities, Local Administration, Housing and Regional Development (2004 – 2005)
- He has held office as Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Commission of the Parliament of the Portuguese Republic
- He has obtained the Diplôme d’Études Supérieures Spécialisées en “Accords et Propriété Industrielle” from CEIPI – Centre d’Études Internationales de la Propriété Industrielle, Université Robert Schuman in Strasbourg.
- José Luís Arnaut is graduated in Law from Universidade Lusíada de Lisboa.
- Since 1991 - Member of the Portuguese Bar Association.
- Member of ABA – American Bar Association since 1996.
- He is a member of several international associations related with his area of practice, in which he has already held leading posts. Some of the associations to which he belongs are: INTA (International Trademark Association), AIPPI (Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Industrielle), FICPI (Fédération Internationale de Conseils en Propriété Industrielle), ECTA (European Communities Trade Mark Association) and PTMG (Pharmaceutical Trade Marks Group).
- Marcas & Patentes Legislação - ARNAUT, José Luís; MIOLUDO, João Paulo; GUIA, Diogo; Marcas & Patentes Legislação, Lisboa, Texto Editora, 2009.
- Independent European Sport Review de 2006
- Livro Verde sobre a Patente Comunitária e o Sistema de Patentes na Europa - ARNAUT, José Luís, “Livro Verde sobre a Patente Comunitária e o Sistema de Patentes na Europa”, Seminário do INPI, Lisboa, 1998
- A Marca Comunitária na União Europeia - ARNAUT, José Luís, “A Marca Comunitária na União Europeia” – do XVI Seminário Nacional de Propriedade Intelectual da ABPI, São Paulo, Brasil, 1996
- Recursos Judiciais das Decisões do INPI - ARNAUT, José Luís, “Recursos Judiciais das Decisões do INPI”, Seminário da Propriedade Industrial, INPI, 1995
- Portugal - ARNAUT, José Luís (co-autor) do capítulo sobre “Portugal”, publicado no International Protection of Intellectual Property Rights, do Center for International Legal Studies de Viena, 1995
- License and Distribution Agreements in Portugal - ARNAUT, José Luís, “License and Distribution Agreements in Portugal”, Gazette Law Society House, London, 1993
- La Marque Tridimensionelle en Droit Portugais - ARNAUT, José Luís, “La Marque Tridimensionelle en Droit Portugais”, Université Robert Schuman, Strasbourg, 1990