Biogroup has acquired the CMA-Medina group, the leader in medical biology in Belgium.
This first acquisition outside France will allow Biogroup to create a European player positioned to pursue its expansion in new European countries, while continuing its development in France and Belgium. Following the transaction, Biogroup will be majority owned by Dr Stéphane Eimer and the De Raedt-Verheyden family (founder of the laboratory).
Founded in 1998 and majority owned by Dr Stéphane Eimer, Biogroup operates more than 715 medical biology laboratories, mainly located in eastern France (Alsace, Lorraine, Franche-Comté and Bourgogne), the regions of Ile-de-France, Nouvelle Aquitaine, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, Rhône-Alpes, Corsica, as well as western France. The Group is the leading player in medical biology in France with pro-forma revenues of around €930 million.
Founded in 1978 and owned by Straco, the holding company of the De Raedt-Verheyden family (founder of the laboratory), CMA-Medina is the leading player in medical biology in Belgium. CMA-Medina operates eight laboratories and 25 collection centers, mainly in Flanders.
Biogroup was advised by:
- CMS in France (CMS Francis Lefebvre Avocats) with Christophe Blondeau (Partner), Benoit Gomel (Counsel), Célia Mayran, Noëlle Boualem et Marion Bladé (Associates) for Corporate/M&A aspects and Jean-Charles Benois, (Partner), Alexia Cayrel, Vincent Forestier and Thomas Louvel (Associates) for tax aspects;
- CMS in Belgium (CMS Debacker) with Arnaud Van Oekel (Partner), David Prync, Candice Kunkera and Lola Verelst (Associates) for Corporate/M&A aspects and Olivier Querinjean (Partner) for tax aspects;
- Allen & Overy in Paris for financing, with Jean-Christophe David (Partner), Géraldine Lezmi and Adrien Repiquet (Associates);
- Latham & Watkins in Paris as banking advisers, with Lionel Dechmann (Partner) and Virginie Terzic (Associate);
- Degroof Petercam as financial adviser with Cyril Kammoun (CEO & Managing Partner), David Amar (Managing Director), Aymeric de Pontevès (Executive Director), Arnaud Rebray (Vice President), Arnaud Zussino (Associate), Florent Messika (Analyst), Rayane Abbas (Executive Director), Julie Le Crom (Associate) and Clément Levalois (Analyst);
- EY in Belgium with Marc Cosaert (Partner) and Robin Janssens (Manager);
- KPMG for financial due diligence, with Antoine Bernabeu (Partner), Hassina Oudjane (Manager) and Gino Aalbrecht (Manager).
The CMA-Medina group was advised by:
- Allen & Overy with Dirk Meeus (Partner), Marc Castagnède (Partner), Jules Lecoeur (Legal Counsel), Flora Leon-Servière, Julie Fock-Lapp, Coline Dermersedian, Alexandre Holvoet, Michiel Fraussen and Louise Holmens (Associates) for Corpoarate/M&A aspects and Jeff Hermans and Amélie Kluyskens (Associates) for real-estate aspects;
- Rothschild as financial adviser with Frank Demoen (Managing Director), Jean-François Limpens (Managing Director), Jan-Karel Pinxten (Assistant Director), David Matthijs (Analyst), Hedley Goldberg (Managing Director), Skanda Surendra (Director), James Webb (Director) and Marlene Horn;
- Deloitte for financial and fiscal due diligence, with Lieve Creten (Managing Partner), Toon Peeters (Partner), Stijn Dingenen (Partner), Heike Vandewalle (Senior Consultant), Michaël Houtevels (Senior Consultant), Gregory Hameeuw (Director), Ivan Massin (Senior Director), Arnaud Mourier (Partner), Bertrand Jeannin (Partner) and Damien Foisy d’Angicourt (Director).
Find more about our law firm:
Our law firm is a leading international business law firm. Its deep roots, unique positioning and highly recognised expertise enables it to deliver innovative, high value-added solutions in tax, business, corporate and labour law.