Károlyi utca 12
Szabolcs Szendrő is senior counsel in the Competition Team at CMS Budapest.
Before joining CMS, he worked for the Hungarian Competition Authority (for over seven years), as the chief legal counsel of the Merger Division, where he led in-depth investigations and actively contributed to legislative and regulatory measures. Szabolcs has extensive experience in abuse of dominant position procedures and cartel cases, with special regards to Network Industries (e.g. Energy, Telecommunications and Media).
As a member of CMS Competition Team, Szabolcs participates in domestic and cross-border mergers, antitrust proceedings, EU level competition cases and consumer protection procedures. He provides legal advice and preliminary legal/economic analysis on all competition law related issues.
- Merger and Acquisition control – managing several in-depth investigations as the leader of the case handler team of the Hungarian Competition Authority, concerning companies such as: Telekom Group, RTL Group, Axel-Springer, MET, Gazprom, and Libri-Shopline. As a legal advisor he provided preliminary competition analysis for a planned joint venture of a leading Telecommunication Company, advised certain acquisitions over major financial market players and coordinated the multi-jurisdictional merger clearance notifications (EU and NON-EU states as well) of one of the significant Banks of the Hungarian market.
- Antitrust investigations – as the leader of the case handler team Szabolcs managed, among others, the cartel investigation against local daily newspaper publishers; investigation on the vertical agreements of the media broadcaster associations; abuse of dominance investigation against MOL Group (Hungarian Oil Company). As an Associate, Szabolcs lead the successful defence of a Vaccine Manufacturer Company against excessive pricing investigation carried out by the Competition Authority; he managed to prevent the initiation of an abuse of dominance case concerning Health Care companies; he participated in alleged abusive loyalty rebate/bundling investigations and he provided advice for a Commercial Bank in a large scale cartel investigation and an alleged unlawful information sharing.
- State aid procedures – participated in several preliminary State aid analyses and in presenting successful submissions to the European Commission (DG Comp) concerning certain affected sectors of Hungary.
- Consumer protection – provided competition law and consumer protection assessments on potentially misleading advertisements for clients from the medical, financial, retail and general service sectors. He represents the clients subsequent to the Hungarian Competition Authority’s consumer protection investigations as well, with persuasive results on the Court level.
- Litigation and Court representation – the provided services include representation at the investigation stages of the Authorities, and also the entire representation during court actions.
- Preliminary analysis and market research – on potential Competition risks (e.g. vertical agreements, horizontal efficiencies, commercial communications); according to transaction plans, business initiatives or other potentially competition related issues, Szabolcs provides extensive assessment based on his experience concerning the Competition Authority’s tools and aspects.
- 2012 - Post-graduate degree in Economics, University of Corvinus, Budapest, Hungary
- 2007 - American Legal Experts, Certificate degree, University of Toledo, Ohio, USA
- 2007 - Doctor of Law, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
- 2005 - European Law Specialisation Program, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
- Member, ACE (Association of Competition Economics)
- Member, Hungarian Association of Competition Law
- Member, Budapest Bar Association
- 2016 - Competition law workshop on Private Damages Actions / EU Directive (article in Hungarian), Origo
- 2014 - CMS Spring Breakfast Series –Seller and Buyer in the same boat (article in Hungarian), Origo
- 2014 - Overview of the recent merger control cases of the European Commission with special regards to the upcoming trends and developments (study in Hungarian, co-author: Aranka Nagy), Versenytükör
- 2014 - Substantial changes in the Hungarian merger control regulations, (study in Hungarian, co-author: Ádám Hajós, Dávid Kuritár), Versenytükör
- Assistant lecturer on Competition Policy and Competition Law – Eötvös Loránd University, Faculty of Law.
- Visiting lecturer at the University of Szeged, Faculty of Law.
- Visiting lecturer on Market Analysis / Competition Economics - Central European University, Department of Public Policy.
- Lecturer at Capacity Building Program of EBRD (Ukraine).
- Lecturer at Twinning Programs of OECD (China, Albania, Ukraine).