Daniel Rodríguez, LL.M.
Daniel Rodríguez, LL.M.
Calle 77 No. 7-44 Off. 202
Torre Siete 77
Daniel is Partner and head of the Public Procurement area, and co-leads the Compliance, Banking & Finance, and Real Estate & Construction practices for the Firm. Within the Banking & Finance practice he leads the structured, project and corporate finance areas and co-leads the restructuring and insolvency focus area. Within the Compliance practice he leads the risk management, prevention of money laundering, financing of terrorism, corruption and smuggling of goods focus areas. His experience covers matters and clients from various sectors including Energy; y Infrastructure & Projects. He is admitted to practice in Colombia and in the States of New York and California in the USA.
With more than 15 years of experience, Daniel has represented project sponsors, banks and other lenders, as well as infrastructure and construction companies, EPC contractors, investors, guarantee issuers and borrowers in a variety of infrastructure, project and corporate finance complex transactions. He has a significant expertise regarding the social, environmental and land acquisition complexities related to project finance deals and infrastructure projects. He has also been involved in some of the country´s most delicate, local and cross-border, white-collar related controversies and investigations. He frequently lectures, writes and gives national and international conferences on the subjects of his expertise.
- 2013-present – Partner, CMS Rodríguez-Azuero, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2010-2013 – Senior Associate, Brigard & Urrutia Abogados, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2008-2010 – Lawyer, Zuber & Taillieu LLP (Zuber Lawler & Del Duca LLP), Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 2004-2008 – Associate, Rodríguez-Azuero Abogados, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2001-2004 – In-house Counsel, Banco de Bogotá (Grupo Aval), Bogotá, Colombia
- 1998-1999 – Curaduría Urbana Número Uno de Bogotá, Intern, Bogotá, Colombia
- Legal 500 Latin America 2017, Projects (Recommended Lawyer)
- Best Lawyers 2018, Project Finance and Development Practice
- Dinero Magazine, one of the most recognized business publications in Colombia, conducted a survey with the representatives of the legal vice-presidents of 18 of the largest companies in the country. In this survey, Daniel Rodríguez was highlighted as one of the most recognized lawyers in Colombia in the Compliance area. “Así son las firmas de abogados más grandes de Colombia,” Abogados Inc., Dinero Magazine, No. 524, August 18, 2017
- Inter-American Development Bank (IDB): The Firm advised the client in the structuring of a special purpose vehicle for the operation of an innovative Efficient Energy Fund in Colombia, with a view to financing clean energy infrastructure projects developed by small and medium enterprises in Colombia.
- Banco de Chile: The Firm has advised the client on multiple cross-border regulatory and transactional matters, including a matter related to the acquisition of an important thermoelectric facility, the financing of one of the most important groups of transportation infrastructure of the country and of the top food processing conglomerate in Colombia.
- Banchile: The Firm has advised the client, the investment group of Banco de Chile conglomerate, in connection with important infrastructure projects in Colombia.
- MAF Colombia S.A.S.: The Firm advised the client in the design and launch of its new financial business vehicle which consists on the granting of loans for the purchase of vehicles in Colombia.
- Conecta Caribe S.A.S.: The Firm advised the client in connection with the contracts for the feasibility stage of the PPP project whose objective is to build a new airport in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia. The Firm also advised the client in the design of the commercial trust structure that supports the land acquisition, as well as the PPP and other projects to be developed around the airport.
- Arbitration: Daniel served as the Chair of the arbitration panel summoned to decide disputes between Fiduciaria Bogotá S.A. (Grupo Aval) and Valorcon (leading Infrastructure Company) regarding an agreement for the construction of a water supply system (public utility) of the States of San Andrés and Santa Catalina, Colombia.
- 2007 – LL.M., Master in Corporate and Business Law (Dean's Merit Grant), University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, CA, USA
- 2003 – Specialist on Commercial Law, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia
- 2001 – Lawyer, Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Bogotá, Colombia
- Member of the New York Bar Association
- Member of the California Bar Association
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Colombia Bar Association
- Chair of the Commission on Corporate Responsibility and Anti-corruption of the International Chamber of Commerce -ICC-
- Member of the Colombian Chapter Commission on Commercial Practices of the International Chamber of Commerce -ICC-
- Member of the Colombian Chapter Commission on Banking Practices of the International Chamber of Commerce -ICC-
- Member of the “A” list of arbitrators of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá
- President of the Security and Risk Management Committee of the Colombian American Chamber of Commerce -AMCHAM-
- Member of the Commission summoned by the Colombian Government to Implement and Draft Regulation on Secured Transactions new law 1676 of 2013
- Member of the Panel of Experts summoned by the Colombian Presidency to inform the Organization of American States commission about the Implementation of the Inter-American Convention against Corruption (MESICIC)
- Member of the "Colombian lawyers and academics perspective Panel" summoned by the Colombian Government to answer before the OECD evaluation committee to verify compliance with OECD Convention on Combating Bribery of Foreign Public Officials in International Business Transactions
- Author, “Security trusts are not securities over mobile assets II”, La República, September 9, 2017;
- Author, “Security and risk management, keys to business success”, AMCHAM Business Mail, September, 2017;
- Author, “The interesting discussion of security trusts and securities over mobile assets”, La República, October 10, 2017
- Author, “The court mistakenly disregarded a key special rule on securities”, La República, July 18, 2017;
- Author, “Regulatory challenges regarding digitization of credit”, La República, November 25, 2016;
- Author, “Is your company supervised by the Superintendency of Companies?”, CMS Rodríguez-Azuero Communications, November 11, 2016;
- Author, “Changes to resolution 143 of 2002 issued by the office of the General Inspector of Colombia, which regulates the Information System of Ineligibility (Sistema de Información y Registro de Inhabilidades, or SIRI)”, CMS Rodríguez-Azuero Communications, October 24, 2016;
- Author, “How many more Cemex are needed?”, La República, October 12, 2016;
- Author, “Foreign investment, trust vehicles and lending: urgent amendment”, Ámbito Jurídico, August 17, 2016;
- Author, “Anti-corruption in the health, real and financial sectors”, La República, August 10, 2016;
- Author, “New challenges in integrated compliance systems”, AMCHAM, Business Mail, July 2016;
- Author, “Design, implementation and enforcement of a compliance program”, Edition 121 Business Mail Colombo American Chamber of Commerce AMCHAM, September 2015;
- Author, “Trust under new Secured Transactions Law”, Ámbito Jurídico, Legis Year XVII, No. 404, Colombia, October 27, 2014;
- Author, “New Secured Transactions Law has a very significant impact regarding Money Laundering Compliance”, Ámbito Jurídico, Legis Year XVII, No. 391, Colombia, April 7, 2014;
- Author, “Interview regarding infrastructure in Colombia”, Infrastructure Journal, August 29 of 2013;
- Author, “Latest news on anti-corruption”, Lexology in cooperation with the Association of Corporate Counsel, December 20, 2012;
- Author of nine papers on “New payroll-based lending regulation: Reasons and Purpose. I, II, III IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX”, La República Newspaper, December 3-8 (I-VI), 13-15 (VII-IX), 2012;
- Coauthor, “Financial services in the Colombia-US context”, IFLR 1000, January 30, 2012;
- Author, “New payroll-based lending regulation: Reasons and Purpose – Advances and challenges of the new regulation”, Brigard & Urrutia Abogados News Flash No. 165, 2012;
- Author, “Limitation of liability clauses in negotiable instruments a highly risky fallacy”, Ámbito Jurídico, Legis Year XII, No. 280, Colombia, May 2, 2011;
- Author, “Interview: Colombia has sound legislation on acquisitions”, Ámbito Jurídico, Legis Year XIII, No. 280, Colombia, August 24, 2009;
- Author, “In the law: Criminal exposure for civil wrongs in foreign countries”, In- Park Magazine, June 9, 2009;
- Author, “New and Emerging Framework to Access Personal Data”, American Bar Association, Legal Developments in Latin America Newsletter, April 2009;
- Research associate to author, “Sandby Letters of Credit”, Ed. Editorial Jurídica de Chile / Editorial Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Chile: Editorial Jurídica de Chile, 2009;
- Author, “Low amount saving accounts: a new opportunity for ‘bancarisation’”, Ámbito Jurídico, Legis Year XI, No. 256, Colombia, August 25, 2008;
- Peer review expert for author Francisco Reyes Villamizar, “Algunas vicisitudes del régimen societario colombiano derivadas de la interpretación constitucional”, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana Cali, June 4, 2008;
- Author, “The new commercial invoice: a detrimental legal reform for Negotiable Instruments regime”, Ámbito Jurídico, Legis Year XI, No. 248, Colombia, May 5, 2008;
- Research associate, “Standby Letters of Credit”, Contracts in Private Law, Ed. Legis, Universidad del Rosario, Colombia, 2007.