Dr. Harald Kahlenberg
Dr. Harald Kahlenberg
Harald Kahlenberg has long-standing experience advising his clients on EU and German merger control and competition law cases and in numerous merger control proceedings, he obtained approval from the European Commission and the German Federal Cartel Office. He in particular focuses on coordinating multinational merger control notifications in the European Union and worldwide and regularly advises on the structuring of joint ventures, business cooperations and distribution systems.
Harald represents companies in fine and administrative proceedings of the European Commission, the German Federal Cartel Office and the regional competition authorities in Germany as well as in competition disputes before the European and German courts. He also advises on competition-related compliance issues, such as setting up compliance systems or competition law audits and trainings.
Harald chairs the World Law Group’s Antitrust & Competition Practice Group and both JUVE, a German legal publisher, as well as Chambers regularly recommend him in their rankings. He joined CMS in 1997 and was made partner in 1999.
- 1995: PhD
- 1991: Second state examination in law, Munich
- 1987 - 1990: Trainee lawyer in Munich, including training with Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton in Brussels in 1990
- 1987: First state examination in law, Munich
- 1983 - 1987: Law studies in Munich and Geneva
- Chair of the World Law Group’s Antitrust & Competition Practice Group
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht e.V.
- Competition Rules, Doing Business in Europe, 2017, Sweet & Maxwell (together with Prof. Dr. Matthias Eck)
- Kommentierung von § 36 Abs. 1 GWB (Materielle Fusionskontrolle), Loewenheim/Meessen/Riesenkampff, Kartellrecht, Band 2 GWB 2006
- "Identifizierende Pressemitteilungen des Bundeskartellamts bei der Einleitung von Untersagungsverfahren", zusammen mit Dr. Rolf Hempel, WuW 2006, p. 127 ff
- "Neues Deutsches Kartellgesetz", zusammen mit Dr. Christian Haellmigk, BB 2005, p. 1509 ff
- "Erste praktische Erfahrungen mit Zusagenentscheidungen nach Art. 9 Verordnung (EG) Nr. 1/2003", zusammen mit Kai Neuhaus, EuZW 2005, p. 620 ff
- "Referentenentwurf der 7. GWB-Novelle: Tiefgreifende Änderungen des deutschen Kartellrechts", zusammen mit Dr. Christian Haellmigk, BB 2004, p. 389 ff
- Handbuch des Vertriebsrechts, 2. Auflage, C.H. Beck 2003, Martinek/Semler/Habermeier (Hrsg.)
- Numerous lectures and seminars on EU and German competition law