78 Cannon Street
Karen Clarke is a partner in the Construction team specialising in the drafting and negotiation of construction and facilities management contracts. She has experience of drafting, negotiating and advising on construction contracts, consultant appointments and ancillary contract documentation for contractors, developers, institutions and public sector clients on various education, residential, office, retail and leisure projects. The majority of Karen’s work has related to large-scale development projects and covers a wide-range of procurement route and contract bases, including NEC, JCT and ICE forms of contract.
In facilities management, Karen recently led on the drafting and negotiation of National Grid’s Commercial Property Portfolio property management and facilities management services contract and PRUPIM's major property management outsourcing arrangements with CBRE. She has also advised the Chartered Institute of Building on revisions to its standard form of Facilities Management Contract and assisted in the drafting of GC/Works contract guidance on facilities management contracting.
- Prudential on a multitude of office, retail and leisure projects on various procurement bases including the major refurbishment of 2 Waterhouse Square (Holborn Bars) and Finsbury Circus in Central London. Also advising on the construction of the award winning multi-phased business park development at GreenPark, Reading comprising office, hotel and leisure facilities.
- M&G on various student accommodation and hotel projects, including the recent funding of Swansea University’s redevelopment project with St Modwen.
- Wellcome Trust for over 15 years on the development of their Genome Campus project utilising both design and build and construction management procurement methods to construct a mix of office, academic, accommodation, commercial innovation and research facility premises in Cambridgeshire. Also advised on an extension to the project for the European Bio-Informatics Institute, The EBI Technical Hub facility and currently on the Sanger Sequencer Building which will host the Government’s ground-breaking Genomics England research project.
- National Grid on both the Corporate and Commercial Real Estate portfolios within National Grid on the procurement, negotiation and implementation of best in class property management and facilities management solutions.
- M&G Real Estate on one of the largest outsourcing contracts for property management ever in EMEA/UK in respect of the drafting and negotiation of its property management outsourcing arrangements with CBRE, which relate to approximately 800 UK properties with a market value of around £12bn. We continue to assist M&G in implementing and managing those arrangements as the property portfolios and their associated requirements evolve. We also assist with reviewing, negotiating and advising on a variety of related high value hard and soft FM services contracts.
- Royal Mail Group on its FM procurement strategy, including the preparation, drafting and negotiation of its strategically important 10-year multi-service facilities management contract with Romec. The facilities management contract provides for a wide range of technical and building services, including construction operations, to be provided to the Royal Mail Group's property portfolio nationwide worth circa £900m with further variable scope for works worth up to £900m over the 10-year term.
- 1998 - LLB (Hons), Warwick University, Warwick
- Society of Construction Law
- CIOB Facilities Management Contract
- LexisPSL – Construction Module on Hard Facilities Management