Juan Camilo Rodríguez, LL.M.
Juan Camilo Rodríguez, LL.M.
Calle 75 No. 3-53
Juan Camilo is Managing Partner and leads the Corporate / M&A, Employment & Pensions practices, and co-leads the Real Estate & Construction area for the Firm. He has advised national and multinational clients in matters related to commercial and civil law and family business and estate planning.
He has a vast experience leading M&A transactions related to divestitures, equity investments and disposal of assets of major companies. He also led the most important management buy-out to have taken place to date in the Colombian financial sector. He has advised investor clients in Colombia and abroad, as well as many multinational companies on issues related to foreign investment in Colombia, shareholder agreements, agency and distribution agreements, corporate governance, competition law, technology transfer agreements and joint venture agreements.
Furthermore, he has more than 20 years of experience advising shareholders of mayor businesses in the development and implementation of estate planning and has more than 20 years of experience on real estate projects.
- 1996-present – Managing Partner, CMS Rodríguez-Azuero, Bogotá, Colombia
- 1998-1999 – Foreign Associate, Sedgwick, Detert Moran & Arnold, New York, NY, USA
- 1998 – Visiting Lawyer, Clyde & Co., London, United Kingdom
- 1994-1995 – Assistant Lawyer, Multinspec Ltda. – Lleras Caicedo Suescún, Bogotá, Colombia
- Legal 500 Latin America 2017, Corporate / M&A (Recommended Lawyer)
- Chambers Global 2017, Corporate / M&A (Band 4)
- Chambers Latin America 2018, Corporate / M&A (Band 4)
- Best Lawyers 2018, Corporate / M&A
- Almacenar I: The Firm advised buyers in the structuring of the purchase and financing operation of Banco de Colombia’s ownership shares in Almacenar S.A. - Almacen General de Deposito, an entity regulated by the Financial Superintendence of Colombia. Legal services included preparation of the bid, structuring of the purchase, drafting of financing and guarantees contracts and shareholder agreements between buyers, as well as requesting for authorization before the Financial Superintendence of Colombia. This was one of the most important management buyout operations in the Colombian financial sector.
- Almacenar II: The Firm advised the client in the sale of Almacenar S.A. to Grupo Santo Domingo, one of Colombia’s most powerful business conglomerates. The Firm advised the sellers in this process, with entailed the drafting, negotiation and execution of share purchase agreements of the shares of Almacenar, its parent company and its affiliates, as well as counseling on obtaining the transaction’s permit before the Financial Superintendent. Additionally, the Firm advised on the legal and tax structuring for the transaction and its closing.
- PayU: The Firm structured the global expansion of the client, the leading payment services provider in Latin America, working with multiple jurisdictions across the Americas and Europe. This process entailed working with a Dutch private equity fund and designing an international joint venture that received an initial capital injection of USD $9 million.
- Promotora ACR SAS (Project La Serrezuela): The Firm advised the client in almost every legal aspect of the construction of La Serrezuela, a luxury retail center in Cartagena’s iconic walled city, Colombia’s top tourist attraction. The Firm has advised the client in the land acquisition, financial closing, and the preparation of all contracts related to the construction of the project including: acquisition of materials, construction services and other needs. The Firm is handling all the contracts for the operation and occupation of the space, working with future tenants of the retail center. Amount of the transaction: Approx. USD $102.6 million.
- Promotora AC: The Firm advised the client in detailed studies on the ownership history, property owners, restrictions and encumbrances on real estate to be used in the development of various projects in the cities of Cartagena and Bogotá, including the Bastión Luxury Hotel and different housing projects.
- Grupo Sura: The Firm advised in the financing and acquisition of assets and insurance businesses and pensions in Latin America (Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Chile and Uruguay) worth USD $3.8 billion. The Firm led the acquisition process of the assets in Colombia and of the local firms in each of the jurisdictions. As part of the financing process, the Firm advised in the public offer of non-voting preferred shares registered in the Registro Nacional de Valores y Emisores (National Registry of Securities and Issuers) and its registration in the La Bolsa de Valores de Colombia (Colombian Stock Exchange). The offer was the largest in Colombian history for USD $1.5 billion and the public share offer in Colombia with the highest amount placed with USD $1.3 billion.
- 2003 – Diploma Degree in Finance for Non-financiers, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia
- 1999 – LL.M., International Business Law, University College London, London, United Kingdom:
- Law of International Finance – King´s College London
- Law of Finance and Foreign Investment in Emerging Economies – Queen Mary and Westfield College
- Multinational Enterprises and the Law - London School of Economics
- Insurance Law - University College London
- 1997 – Lawyer, Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Bogotá, Colombia
- Former President for Family Business Network (FBN), Colombian Chapter, which has 100 of the most important family businesses in the country including: banks and retails, and others (http://fbn.com.co/fbn-global). FBN promotes success and sustainability of family businesses around the world.
- Member of the Surveillance Committee of Fondo Capital Privado Darby Colpatria
- Member of the Surveillance Committee of Fondo Capital Privado Nexus
- He has been national and international speaker in various panels and conferences
- Member of the Board of Directors of Club Los Lagartos
- He is one of the Founding Shareholders of Prelegal Assist, a start-up company that today has more than 2 million clients (http://www.prelegalassist.com)
- Member of the Committee of Investors of Oportunidad Colombia (http://www.oportunidadcolombia.com/)
- Member of the Committee of Investors of Private Funds such as: Círculo de Viajes