78 Cannon Street
Charles Kerrigan is a partner in the Banking & International Finance Team at CMS London.
Charles acts on credit finance matters in the TMT sectors. He acts for funds, technology companies, governments and other institutions.
He is a leading expert on digital money, the law of payments, artificial intelligence and blockchain technology, giving strategic and technical advice to corporations, financial institutions and regulators. He sits on the Bank of England's Financial Markets Law Committee on Virtual Currencies and chairs a panel at the Tomorrow's Transactions (Digital Money) Forum. He has been named in the Blockchain Industry Landscape Overview 2018 as one of the UK's leading influencers on blockchain.
Charles sits on the advisory boards of the UK All Party Parliamentary Group on Artificial Intelligence (APPG AI) and the UK All Party Parliamentary Group on Blockchain (APPG Blockchain).
He is recognised as a leading contributor to the development of TMT Finance and the funding of intangible assets, working with the UK Intellectual Property Office, the Bank of England and the British Bankers Association, among others.
Charles has practised in London and New York.
- Clients include: 20th Century Fox, BAE, Bank of America, BBC, Curzon Advisers Limited, Lloyds Banking Group, MindCandy, UBS Global Asset Management, Wells Fargo and Vodafone.
- 1993 - Law – Oxford University, MA
- Consulting editorial board member - Banking & Finance - LexisPSL 2019
- Intellectual Property Office – IPO – Banking on IP working group
- UK representative - European Commission Open Method of Co-ordination – OMC Group on creative industries access to finance
- Creative England – Access to Finance Implementation Group
- Big Innovation Centre – BIC Entrepreneurial Finance Hub
- Panel member - Innovate UK (Technology Strategy Board) 2014
- British Bankers Association – BBA Creative Industries Roundtable Working Group
- Co-founder of the Association of Media and Technology Lenders
- Secured Transactions Law Reform Project – IP workstream
- Acknowledged in the Intellectual Property Office's IP Finance Toolkit
- Advisory board member - All Party Parliamentary Group on AI (APPG AI)
- Advisory board member - All Party Parliamentary Group on Blockchain (APPG Blockchain)
- UK Co-representative - European Commission – Open Method of Co-ordination, OMC Group on creative industries access to finance
- Board member - Big Innovation Centre Innovators Board
- Intellectual Property Office IP Finance Toolkit; Banking on IP report – contributor acknowledgement
- Accord Project – financial services workstream
- Global Digital Finance – contributor
- January 2019 - Smart Contracts: The Big Questions, Artificial Lawyer
- August 2018 - Smart contracts and Blockchain, City AM
- June 2018 - Artificial Intelligence and Fallibility, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law
- November 2017 - Artificial Intelligence and Uncertainty, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law
- July/Aug 2017 Artificial Intelligence and Equity, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law
- 2017 - Security over IP in Practical Lending and Security Precedents, Sweet & Maxwell, Author
- 2016 - TMT Finance Law and Practice, Butterworths, First Edition 2016, Author
- 2016 - Cash Pooling and Insolvency - A Practical Global Handbook, Second Edition, Globe Publishing 2016, Author
- December 2016 - TMT Finance: TV (Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law)
- June 2016 - Some practical points in relation to the granting of floating charges (Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law)
- March 2016 - Information Stymied By Banking Access Issues, Experts Warn (Payments Compliance)
- March 2016 - Law firms, artificial intelligence and smart contracts (Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law)
- February 2016 - Unblocking the blockchain (LexisNexis)
- July 2015 - Digital is the future of banking but can banks keep up? (The Guardian)
- July 2015 - Standard Chartered and Deloitte Wade Into Blockchain Fray (Payments Compliance)
- May 2015 - Mobile Payments Flagged as cyber-attack risk intensifies (Payments Compliance)
- FCA publishes review of CASS initiative (E-Finance & Payments Law & Policy)
- December 2014 - The interpretation of contracts relating to financial transactions (Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law)
- Charles writes for the Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, Bloomberg Financial Services Law Review and has written for The Times, IP Finance, International Financier and International Accountant
- City of London University of Law – lecturer in Secured Lending, Subordination and Capital Markets.
- The London School of Economics and Political Science – lecturer on the LLM in The Law and Practice of International Finance; guest lecturer on Digital Money topics
- Biometrics Institute
- International Legal Technology Association, Insight Conference
- UCL Institute of Brand and Innovation Law (IBIL) – lecturer on IP Transactions: Law and Practice
- Tomorrow's Transactions Forum - 18th/19th March 2015 - speaker