Field of activity
Hans Lederer is counsel for the Copyright Department. He specialises in trademark, design, copyright, access control and unfair competition law as well as in the development, implementation and coordination of (mostly cross-border) strategies to combat product piracy. His expertise includes litigation relating to intellectual property rights and unfair competition, trademark and music licensing, drafting and negotiating contracts, advising on copyright levies, and securing, enforcing and administering intellectual property rights.
Hans Lederer works for clients in the following sectors: Hans Lederer's practice focuses on media, in particular broadcasting and music, travel and leisure, beverage and food production, sports, software and computer services, and agrochemicals.
"These dynamic and innovative industries require creative and forward-looking legal solutions and arguments based on in-depth industry knowledge as well as knowledge of the relevant legal provisions.”
Previous professional experience / training
Before joining CMS Vienna, Hans A. Lederer worked for more than four years as a project manager and lawyer in the General Secretariat of the Austrian Red Cross. Even today, he still works for the organisation on a voluntary basis.
He studied law at the Universities of Innsbruck, Caen (France) and Vienna.
In 2001-02 he was a member of the International Board of the European Law Students' Association (ELSA) based in Brussels.
- 2004 – Faculty of Law, Universities of Innsbruck (Austria), Caen (France) and Vienna (Austria)
- Vienna Bar Association
- Österreichische Vereinigung für gewerblichen Rechtsschutz und Urheberrecht (ÖV)
- Marcus Klamert/Hans Lederer, Verwertungsgesellschaft Rundfunk/Hotel Edelweiß II - Signalschutzrecht beim Hotelzimmer - TV (Verwertungsgesellschaft Rundfunk v Hotel Edelweiß II: Signal protection law for hotel room television, German publication), ÖBI 2019, 98
- Hans Lederer, Markenrecht: Seniorität einer Unionsmarke und nachträgliche Ungültigkeitsfeststellung (Trademark law: seniority of a Union trademark and subsequent invalidation, German publiction), EuZW 2018, 498
- Hans Lederer, "Baucherlwärmer" – EuGH zur Konnexität von Verletzungs- und Widerklageverfahren bei Unionsmarken (European Court of Justice on the connection between infringement and counterclaim proceedings concerning Union trademarks, German publication), November 2017
- Hans Lederer, Aktuelle Neuerungen im österreichischen Markenrecht (Current innovations in Austrian trademark law, German publication), Oktober 2017
- Egon Engin-Deniz/Hans Lederer, Rechtserhaltende Benutzung einer Marke – „Kornspitz“-Gebäck (The use of the brand “Kornspitz” bread in such a manner as to maintain the rights, German publication), MR-Int 2014, 95
- Hans Lederer, EU rüstet auf im Kampf gegen Produktpiraterie (EU arms itself in the fight against product piracy, German publication), Der Standard, 22 April 2014
- Hans Lederer, Verletzungsklage gegen Inhaber einer jüngeren Gemeinschaftsmarke (Infringement claim against holders of a recent Community trade mark, German publication), EuZW 2013, 344