16 December 2016, 08:30 -
At this session, we will bring everyone up-to-date with the latest assessment of the Brexit process and the impact on the financial services sector.
Paul Edmondson will provide a year-end overview of the Brexit process from the UK perspective. He will look at the key issues in financial services including:
- The options and issues for the critical transition phase
- The post-referendum analysis by the industry and trade bodies to inform HMG's negotiation position
- What we can expect for 2017
Shanker Singham, Chairman of the Legatum Institute Special Trade Commission and Director of Economic Policy and Prosperity Studies, Legatum Institute will explain his work on the strategies for the UK's negotiating position on financial services. He will give us his insight into:
- Emerging thinking from a policy perspective for this key sector
- The policy options on transition
- The challenges and opportunities for the FS sector within a broader free trade arrangement
CMS financial services partners from continental Europe will tell us about:
- The EU's approach to Brexit
- The approach of their national industry and government
- The position of UK firms looking to establish/seek local authorisation in their jurisdiction e.g. for subsidiaries to act as an EU/EEA hub post-Brexit
- Measures in their country to assist and attract UK firms
We will also hear from CMS Switzerland about the Swiss experience of EU relations, referenda and the lessons for the UK financial services industry.