Warsaw Financial Centre
ul. Emilii Plater 53
Tomasz Sancewicz is Counsel in CMS’ Employment Team.
He advises international and domestic clients on employment issues, including recruitment, terminations, restructuring, internal by-laws, internal investigations, and litigation. He also advises on staff matters in M&A transactions.
For the last 10 years he has been helping clients from various sectors including financial services, pharmaceutical, insurance, FMCG, automotive and energy.
Legal directory Legal 500 recommends him as a labour law specialist.
He was recently named a “Rising Star” - one of 30 leading young lawyers in Poland.
- The international manufacturer of beauty and homecare products - advising on employment issues relating to the sale of its local Polish home care brands to Henkel AG, German consumer products group (valued at GBP 46.6 million). It included advising on the employment aspects of the deal structure as well as advising on transfer of undertaking (TUPE), internal re-organisation, development of retention programs and performance bonuses, communications with employees. Post-transaction advice concentrated on internal restructuring and negotiation strategy with the trade unions.
- The Polish branch of the French retail bank - advising on employment issues relating to cross-border merger of banks such us transfer of employees, employee participation rights and consultation/information obligations. It also involved advising on unification of the salary systems of the merged banks, establishment of trade unions and strategy towards them in the merged entity. The matter required significant experience in dealing with the grey areas of trade union law and a strategic approach and planning.
- Global company from the business advisory sector - helping the Client to review, implement and translate its corporate policies, including code of conduct and other workplace regulations. Coordinating this project on a CEE level.
- International company from the agriculture business - advising in starting up their business operations in Poland, assisting in developing corporate standards in HR documentation, advising on closing down the business line in Poland.
- Global biopharmaceutical company – helping the Client to carry out an internal investigation into an alleged misconduct. The work involved all stages of the investigation, in particular preparing the process, gathering witness statements, analysing the material and preparing conclusions.
- Global company from FMCG sector - defending the Company in a precedent-setting litigation relating to overtime of field workers. Extensive legal experience, insight knowledge and scrupulous analysis of the facts helped to dismiss the case.
- Japanese manufacturer - advising on closing down factory in Poland. It comprised full legal assistance on the employment side, including handling negotiations with unions, group dismissal procedures, and a voluntary termination programme.
- Franchisor of global brands - advising on a complex and contentious termination of a senior employee. It required a sensitive approach and extensive legal experience in handling discrimination claims.
- University of Warsaw, Faculty of Law and Administration, M. A.
- University of Cambridge & University of Warsaw, British and European School of Law.
- Member, Warsaw Bar Association.
- Member, International Bar Association.