78 Cannon Street
Philip Duffield is a partner in the Energy, Projects & Construction group. He specialises in advising sponsors, lenders and the public sector on the construction, operation, commercial and financing aspects of projects in the UK and worldwide.
Philip’s practice covers a wide range of sectors including renewable energy, waste, transport, health, defence and education. CMS is recognised as a market leader in both the Energy and Infrastructure & Project Finance sectors in the UK, and is top ranked in Legal 500 in both practice areas. He advises on both new (primary) projects and also the acquisition and disposal or projects in the secondary market.
Many of the transactions on which Philip has advised have been based on a PPP model and/or have successfully secured project-finance debt. He has extensive knowledge of what is needed to make projects bankable, both in terms of government-backed projects and also purely commercial projects.
Many of the projects Philip has advised on have been innovatively structured or financed. His clients include the public sector, construction contractors, developers, energy companies, infra funds, pension funds, banks and equity investors.
- Offshore Wind: RWE and EDP Renováveis on various contracts for the development of their Galloper (500MW UK Round 3) and Moray Firth (1.5GW UK Round 3) offshore wind farm projects; and National Grid and John Laing on their bids for numerous OFTO (offshore transmission owner) projects.
- Onshore Wind: various clients including Aviva Investors, EDF Energy Renewables, Octopus, The Renewable Infrastructure Group, Hermes and Gravis Capital Partners on the development, acquisition and project-financing of various onshore wind projects in the UK.
- Solar: a number of clients including BBIP, Nord/LB, Low Carbon, on the development, acquisition and project-financing of portfolios of solar PV parks in the UK, including on construction, O&M, power purchase and grid connection arrangements.
- Biomass and Energy-from-Waste: Equitix as sponsor for a new biomass (waste wood) CHP plant in Sheffield; Aviva Investors as funder for a new biomass CHP energy centre for Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust at Addenbrookes Hospital; Merchant Place Corporate Finance on structuring and contracts for an energy-from-straw plant in South Wales; and Chinook Energy, Enver Energy, Equitix and SITA on other ongoing projects and matters.
- Renewable Power Purchase: various clients (including McDonald’s Restaurants) on back-to-back power purchase agreements in the UK and associated flexible electricity-supply terms.
- Other Energy: various other projects in the energy sector, including in cutting edge areas such as commercial battery storage, smart metering, reserve (peaking) power and carbon capture and storage.
- Health: IFC on the procurement of Shillong Medical College and Hospital, the first PPP medical college project in India; and Clinicenta on its successful bids for the North London and GC9 independent sector treatment centre (ISTC) projects, the latter being the only ISTC scheme to be project-financed.
- Transport: a consortium comprising Vinci, Alstom, Meridiam, OFI and Keolis in relation to the Nottingham Tram Phase 2 PPP project, to upgrade and extend the existing tram system in Nottingham; Société Générale as lenders’ agent in relation to the RAV light rail project in Vancouver, Canada; and IFC on the procurement of the Milot-Morine PPP road project in Albania.
- Defence: Babcock as training and FM subcontractor for the Royal School of Military Engineering project in the UK to provide accommodation and training to the Ministry of Defence.
- Secondary Markets: various clients in relation to due diligence for the acquisition or disposal of portfolios of infrastructure assets (particularly solar, onshore wind, PFI and PPP projects).
- 2002 – LPC, College of Law, London
- 2000 – PGDL, BPP Law School, London, Oxford
- 1999 – B.A. Modern History, University of Oxford, Oxford