78 Cannon Street
Tom is a Partner in the Disputes Group with over 15 years’ experience of litigating high value and complex commercial disputes.
Tom has a particular focus on banking and finance disputes. In 2017/2018, Tom was seconded to a large UK bank where he worked on a range of high profile matters including a substantial remediation scheme, follow on litigation against the bank and parallel regulatory investigations, together with more “business as usual” claims.
In addition to contentious financial services matters, Tom regularly works for both international and domestic clients on large scale cross-border disputes involving High Court proceedings, international arbitration and alternative dispute resolution. Since becoming a Partner in 2011, Tom has strong experience of working on contentious insolvency matters; fraud claims; joint venture disputes; directors duties; and applications for interim remedies including freezing injunctions.
- Various banks on disputes arising from commercial and retail banking operations such as remediation programmes, breach of mandate claims, and defending claims involving allegations of mis-selling and fraud. Tom has been seconded full time as a Partner to a major UK bank and so has good knowledge of the inner workings of financial institutions.
- Certus Capital Limited in relation to its claim for over EUR 14 million against a German listed entity, Publity AG, relating to commission due for introducing a significant hedge fund investor.
- US Government Agency in relation to securing over USD 100 million of assets held in London financial institutions as a result of alleged cyber hacking perpetrated by Eastern European defendants in support of ongoing US legal proceedings.
- Jersey listed company in relation to the successful application for an injunction from the English High Court and assisting in parallel proceedings before the Malaysian High Court and Royal Court of Jersey in relation to claims involving breach of contract and breach of directors’ duties.
- High Net Worth Individual in relation to a claim against a well-known financial institution for the alleged mis-selling of a structured product.
- Listed UK real estate company in relation to defending a multi-million pound claim arising under a joint venture agreement.
- The Swiss liquidators of the Petroplus Group on numerous English law issues arising out of a USD 2 billion facility agreement and the cross-border insolvency of the group.
- HCA International Limited in relation to its challenge to the Competition & Markets Authority’s decision to order divestiture of two private hospitals before the Competition Appeals Tribunal and Court of Appeal.
- IBM United Kingdom Pensions Trust in relation to its successful 4 week High Court USD 160 million contested action to rectify a trust deed executed in 1983.
- The claimant in an LCIA international arbitration on a joint venture / shareholder dispute involving assets of over USD 100 million.
- Banca Popolare di Intra SpA in relation to its claim against another bank for mis-selling a EUR 50 million structured note which included exposure to the first loss tranche of a synthetic CDO.
- 2000 – LPC, Nottingham Law School (Distinction)
- 1999 – LLB, University of Nottingham, Nottingham
- Fraud, bribery & corruption: impact on international arbitration (2016)
- Claiming privilege in FCA investigations and subsequent civil litigation (2015)
- Practical guide to FCA investigations (2015)
- Regulating financial benchmarks: Lexis PSL (2015)
- FCA’s use of skilled persons’ reviews: Global Investigations Review (2014)
- UK LIBOR-style regulation may be unfit for other benchmarks: Global Investigations Review (2014)
- Informa Law Podcast: Legal implications of the LIBOR scandal (2014)
- LIBOR scandal: two years on (2014)
- Guide to interest rate hedging product claims (2014)
- LIBOR scandal: one year on (2013)
- Seminar on legal professional privilege (2017)
- Crisis management seminar (bribery & corruption) (2016)
- Legal Week Financial Regulation & Banking Litigation Forum (2015): case law update
- Indian Corporate Counsel 4th Annual Summit (Delhi) (2015): The need for speed and efficiency in arbitration
- Association of Indian Corporate Counsel & Company Secretaries (Delhi) (2015): International arbitration update
- Legal Week Litigation Conference (2014): Banking litigation case law update
- Indian Corporate Counsel 3rd Annual Summit (Delhi) (2014): Hot topics in international arbitration
- Client seminar (2013): Legal implications of the LIBOR scandal
- Legal Week Litigation Conference (2012): Latest developments in legal professional privilege