The law firm CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz has enjoyed a 50-year success story. Founded in 1970 in Vienna, CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz is today a leading specialist in commercial law in Austria and Southeast Europe. With its head office in Vienna, CMS Austria also has offices in
In total we employ around 330 people – 185 of whom are lawyers.
CMS - The largest law firm in Europe
Together with our CMS partner law firms, we offer our clients a team of more than 600 experienced specialists in 17 offices in the CEE/SEE region. CMS is today one of the ten leading international law firms in terms of the number of attorneys and the largest law firm in Europe (according to Law 2016 Global 100) offering a broad range of specialised advice. CMS clients include numerous Fortune 500 and FT European 500 companies as well as most DAX 30 companies.
The CMS success story
- In 1999 CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz founded the international CMS network together with law firms from Great Britain, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium. Starting in 2000, more European law firms – including those from Switzerland, France, Italy and Spain – gradually joined the network.
- CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz opened the Belgrade office in 2000 and, as one of the leading law firms in Serbia, has been offering a full legal service covering all aspects of commercial law there ever since. That was followed in 2003 by an office in Zagreb, in 2004 by a branch in Sofia, and in 2006 an office opened in Kyiv. In 2008, CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz continued its expansion in Central, Eastern and South-eastern Europe: two new offices opened in Slovenia and Bosnia-Herzegovina.
- In June 2008, CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz merged with the well-known banking law firm Dallmann & Juranek. This further strengthened CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz’s leading position in Austria and South-eastern Europe.
- The CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz office in Podgorica, Montenegro, commenced operations in 2012. A Turkish Desk was operated from the Vienna Head Office from 2006, and since the end of 2013 our firm has also been represented by an office in Istanbul.
- Meanwhile, three CMS law firms merged their activities in Moscow in November 2008 to establish one of the largest international law firms in Russia under the name CMS Russia. Rui Pena & Arnaut, a Portuguese full-service law firm, joined the CMS network in 2012, and in 2014 CMS Switzerland merged with a respected Geneva law firm. In 2014, the largest Scottish law firm, Dundas & Wilson joined CMS.
- 2017 was the year of expansion. CMS completed the largest legal merger in the UK. Together with Nabarro and Olswang, a so-called “powerhouse” was established in London. The Latin American law firms Carey & Allende (Chile), GRAU Abogados (Peru) and Rodríguez-Azuero Contexto Legal Abogados (Colombia) all became part of CMS in the same year. Also in 2017, PCM Avocats, one of Monaco’s leading law firms, joined CMS.
CMS now has around 8000 employees in 13 member firms. It has more than 77 offices in over 43 countries and 4,800 lawyers, including more than 1,100 partners. Whether international companies, mid-caps or innovative start-ups – they all benefit from our comprehensive international presence coupled with deep local roots. Not only do we understand our clients’ businesses but are also familiar with the industry and the countries in which they operate. As a law firm, we develop tailor-made, legally sound and pragmatic solutions for you that take into account your commercial goals and best meet the financial requirements of your company.