Top rankings for CMS Switzerland by Chambers and Partners
CMS Switzerland is delighted to announce that 14 lawyers across 10 practice areas have been recommended in the 2019 edition of Chambers and Partners Europe, published in March 2019.
The following lawyers from our offices in Zurich and Geneva are recommended in their fields of expertise:
- Stefan Brunnschweiler – Corporate/M&A
- Marquard Christen – Competition/Antitrust
- Christian Gersbach – Employment
- Stefan Gerster – Real Estate
- Daniel Jenny – Corporate/M&A
- André E. Lebrecht – Investment Funds
- Bernhard Lötscher – White-Collar Crime
- Sibylle Schnyder – Real Estate
- Patrick Sommer – Competition/Antitrust
- Jodok Wicki – Dispute Resolution: Litigation
These experts have been identified by means of extensive market research including interviews conducted by Chambers and Partners. Please find below a selection of what clients have said about our law firm and our lawyers:
- Marquard Christen wins praise from clients for being "very responsive and extremely business minded." Interviewees highlight his "ability to understand the economic context and to tailor his response to the needs of his client." He regularly assists clients with merger clearance matters, as well as representing them in antitrust investigations.
- Department head Patrick Sommer offers expertise in cartel investigations in the banking and finance sector. In addition, he assists pharmaceutical clients with price recommendation proceedings.
- Sources describe newly ranked up-and-comer Daniel Jenny "very hard-working, always committing everything to his clients" and "able to think through complex questions very quickly and give to the point, direct answers." He advised Rieter on its acquisition of SSM Textile Machinery division from Schweiter Technologies, valued at CHF124.2 million. He is also active for clients in the automotive and life sciences fields, advising on public tender offers and corporate restructurings.
- Stefan Brunnschweiler is "flexible to the clients' needs," according to sources, who add that he "gives a sense of calm and having things under control." He advises on both domestic and cross-border matters, including acquisitions and divestures of portfolios, as well as advising shareholders. He acted for ABB on the acquisition of the telecommunications company KEYMILE.
Dispute Resolution: Litigation
- According to clients, Jodok Wicki is a "fast thinking and strategic litigation lawyer." He has a strong focus on insurance law disputes, representing defendants in D&O coverage disputes and product liability cases.
- Christian Gersbach of CMS is recognised for his litigation experience in this area, and he also advises on contractual matters. Sources highlight him as being "really hands-on and knowledgeable." He assisted Nike with matters related to employment in Switzerland, including employee terminations and non-compete agreements.
- André Lebrecht of CMS acts on transactions and contentious matters in the funds sphere for banks, insurance companies and asset managers.
- Sibylle Schnyder is lauded as "very knowledgeable" by clients, who add that she "got up to speed very quickly regarding our business." She advises clients on the sale and acquisition of real estate and the expansion of commercial premises. She also assists with lease agreements.
- Interviewees state that the highly-regarded Stefan Gerster is "very well known and has a good network." He gains particular recognition for his expertise advising investors on property purchase agreements. He is adept at handling transactions related to hotels, residential developments and leisure facilities.
- Andrio Orler assists clients with corporate tax issues, including reorganisations and structuring in acquisitions. He has several clients from the financial sector. Clients state: "It's very pleasant to work with him."
- David Hürlimann is noted by clients as "very responsive and happy to help." He acts on the tax aspects of restructuring matters, as well as advising on corporate and individual taxation.
- Robert Briner of CMS is known for his knowledge of IP matters relating to technology and software. He typically advises on IT-related litigation and unfair competition issues.
- Olivier Carrard of CMS von Erlach Poncet is reputed for his activity as arbitrator on CAS proceedings covering a range of sports, including football, motorsport and swimming.
- Practice head Bernhard Lötscher represents private individuals as both defendants and plaintiffs, as well as assisting international corporates with investigations, asset tracing and criminal defence. Clients appreciate the clarity he brings to complex, cross-border cases with one reporting: "He offers brilliant analysis of the facts without being too complex."
About Chambers and Partners
Chambers and Partners identifies and ranks since 29 years the most outstanding law firms and lawyers in over 185 countries throughout the world. The key to the success of their legal directories and the validity of the awards is the in-depth research conducted by qualified and experienced researchers.
Guides are published for the USA, UK, Europe, Latin America, Asia-Pacific, Canada, High Net Worth and the Global market. Each book is the culmination of interviews with lawyers and clients carried out by a large research team.