78 Cannon Street
Andrew Smith is a patent attorney in the CMS London office Intellectual Property Department. Andrew uses his technical background in the fields of telecommunications, software and AI to assist clients protect their technology through patents in this complex and changing area of patent law. He uses his significant in-house experience from working at UK and International companies to help clients with patent harvesting and identifying inventions as well as with drafting patent applications suitable for prosecution in many jurisdictions including the US and Europe.
Andrew has patent experience in a range of technical fields including VOIP systems, network architecture, UI design, video and audio codecs, ray tracing, internet of things, wireless communications, antennas, software and telecommunications (including Wi-Fi and mobile standards).
- Working in-house at Microsoft supporting the Skype product in the Productivity and Office Group.
- Working in-house at CSR on Bluetooth, location and imaging technologies.
- Representing clients at hearings before the European Patent Office.
- Prosecuting a global patent docket.
- 2017 – Intellectual Property Enterprise Court (IPEC) Course, CIPA, London
- 2015 – China IP Protection Training Program, SPTL, Shanghai
- 2013 – European Patent Attorney, European Patent Office, Munich
- 2013 – European Design Attorney, EUIPO, Alicante
- 2012 – UK registered Patent Attorney, UK Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys, London
- 2006 – MEng, Electronic and Communication Engineering, University of Warwick, Coventry