20 Castle Terrace
Colin Lawrie advises on the establishment, investment in and debt finance of unregulated funds, primarily in private equity and real estate asset classes, helping clients harness the benefits of collective investment. His work has earned him the recognition of a Chambers Band 1 ranking.
Colin also advises on the use of alternative vehicles, both onshore and offshore, such as Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs), Limited Partnerships (LPs), General Partnerships, Unauthorised Unit Trusts (JPUTs etc.) and ‘stacked’ combinations of such structures to provide hybridised results, both for transactional and project purposes (e.g. Joint Ventures). His work focuses primarily on the renewable energy, property and financial services sectors.
- Clyde Blowers Capital IM LLP on the successful launch of Clyde Blowers Capital Funds II (2008, circa £250m) and Clyde Blowers Capital Fund III (2011/12, over £400m).
- Glebe Asset Management Limited in the successful launch (£101m raised at first closing) of the Glebe London Property Fund.
- Sigma Technology Management Limited in the successful launch (£50m raised at first closing) of the Sigma Sustainable Energy Fund II L.P.
- SSE on the use of an LLP structure to open up a significant hydro-electric project in Scotland by partnering with the landowner through an LLP which allowed the landowner to overcome certain tax issues.
- A Scottish local authority on the deployment of an innovative "stacked" LLP structure for a major wind farm project to allow it to work alongside a private sector partner while at the same time preserving the benefits of its tax exempt status and retaining a "project finance" friendly structure.
- A UK bank on the use of LLPs to adopt a more tax-efficient structure for the delivery of its telecom needs.
- 1993 - Diploma Legal Practice, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow
- 1992 - Law, LLB Hons (1st Class), University of Strathclyde, Glasgow
- Member, The Law Society of Scotland
- CMS Focusing on Funds - GDPR May 2018
- CMS Focusing on Funds - Double trouble: Luxembourg and French double tax treaty June 2018
- CMS Focusing on Funds – Tougher tax rules for German real estate July 2018
- CMS Focusing on Funds – Responsibility and sustainability matters (ESG) September 2018
- CMS Focusing on Funds – Changes for overseas owners of UK real estate October 2018