1 West Regent Street
Eleanor Lane is a partner in CMS UK’s Infrastructure & Projects Team. She has particular expertise in the transport and maritime sectors, often advising on projects of unusual complexity and/or national importance. This includes public service concessions and strategic outsourcing projects as well as PFI and NPD.
Eleanor has considerable experience of public procurement processes and has advised the Scottish Government on some of the biggest and most high-profile roads, rail and ferries projects to come to the market in recent years, often working within multi-disciplinary teams.
Eleanor also advises on a range of shipping and aviation matters including sale and purchase, charterparties and leases, financing, port access arrangements, airport operating agreements, shipbuilding and FPSO contracts. Highlights include advising on the transfer of the steamship SS Sir Walter Scott from Scottish Water to a newly established charitable trust, and (on a pro bono basis) the transfer of the MV Balmoral, registered as part of the National Historic Fleet, to her current owner.
She has also advised on a significant number of fuel supply contracts and energy projects including the Steven’s Croft Biomass Power Station near Lockerbie, a 44 MW biomass power station and the biggest of its kind in the UK at the time (this won the best renewable project award at Scotland’s Green Energy Awards in December 2007) as well as various off-shore acquisitions and refinancings such as the Seven Heads Gas Field.
- Scottish Ministers under a joint mandate on the DBFO procurements of (i) the M8 M73 M74 Motorway Improvements (c.£500m) and (ii) the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route / Balmedie-Tipperty (£600m), and separately on the £345m M80 Stepps to Haggs DBFO project.
- Caledonian Maritime Assets Limited on the construction contract, operating lease and charterparty of a £42m Stornoway/Ullapool ferry and its subsequent inclusion in the 2015 Clyde & Hebrides Ferry Services procurement.
- Strathclyde Partnership for Transport on the c.£300m procurement of an entire system for the Glasgow Subway Modernisation Project comprising rolling stock, signalling, control system, platform screen doors, a depot for a new driverless underground system and technical support.
- Sevan Marine ASA on charterparties, services agreements, IP licences and Duty Holder contracts for their patented circular FPSOs including in relation to the Huntington, Western Isles and Catcher Fields, as well as advising on contractual structures for Sevan’s patented LNG technology.
- Scottish Ministers on restructuring of Caledonian MacBrayne and the subsequent procurement (including public service contracts and charterparties) of the Clyde & Hebrides ferry and harbour services.
- Scottish Ministers on (i) the Glasgow Airport Rail Link (prior to its cancellation) and (ii) the transfer of the Borders Railway project to Network Rail following cancellation of the proposed NPD procurement.
- Public sector on procurements of ferry projects including the Northern Isles Ro-Ro freight and passenger services; Clyde & Hebrides Ferry Services; 2 proposed cross-Forth ferry services; Gourock-Dunoon passenger service; Malta - Gozo; and a proposed freight service from Galway to the Aran Islands.
- Anonymised client on a range of maritime issues including ship finance, vessel sale and purchase, charterparties, refit/tow contracts and arrangements with port authorities.
- The Royal Bank of Scotland plc on (i) the refinancing of a fleet of workboats providing naval and offshore support in the UK and Northern Europe (ii) on the financing of a fleet of tugs involved in refinery support work in the Thames Estuary and (iii) most recently on the acquisition financing of a fleet of fishing vessels some of which are flagged outwith the UK.
- Major utility a range of transportation and shipping contracts, harbour access agreements with various UK ports, stevedoring and storage / warehousing services.
- 1999 – Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Glasgow, Glasgow
- 1998 - Law, LLB, University of Glasgow, Glasgow
- 1994 - BA (Hons) Theology, University of Durham, Durham