6 Queens Road
Norman Wisely is a partner who specialises in all areas of oil & gas law, and in particular oil & gas mergers and acquisitions work.
Norman has extensive experience in advising clients on oil & gas matters in the UK and internationally, including leading numerous acquisitions and disposals of UKCS and international offshore and onshore oil & gas assets, advising on oil & gas related share transactions, on transportation and infrastructure projects, decommissioning and decommissioning security, licensing, production sharing and joint venture matters, product sales arrangements and all matters relevant to the exploration, production and sale of hydrocarbons.
Norman’s recent international experience includes leading on various oil and gas deals and projects from and based in Norway, UAE, Russia, Namibia, Trinidad and various other countries and territories in Africa, Asia, Australasia and North and South America.
- Led UK and Norwegian asset and corporate disposals (leading partner) for BG, BP and ConocoPhillips and on significant acquisitions of interests for SSE, Premier Oil, Apache, TAQA and EnQuest, including developing all associated decommissioning security arrangements. Norman also recently led CMS teams supporting Nexen Petroleum and Statoil on various key North Sea projects.
- BG on the sale of its entire interest in the CATS pipeline via a sale of its subsidiary, BG CATS Limited, to Antin Infrastructure Partners (GBP 572m).
- SSE on its purchase of a stake in Laggan, Tormore, Edradour and Glenlivet Fields together with interests in the Shetland Gas Plant and other ancillary interests from Total (GBP 565m) and its purchase from Hess of 19 offshore fields in the Southern North Sea gas basin including interests in the Everest/Lomond, Bacton and ECA areas together with interests in the Bacton terminal (USD 423m).
- TAQA on its sale and purchase of seven North Sea oil and gas fields together with interests in the Brent pipeline system and Sullom Voe terminal from Shell and Exxon (USD 628m).
- Premier Oil on its acquisition of a 100% interest in Solan Field from Chrysaor and associated financing arrangements in respect of $2b field development, and subsequent restructuring of same.
- BP on various projects, including its sale of its Alba and Britannia fields to Mitsui and sale of Draugen field (Norway) to Shell.
- EnQuest on its acquisition of interests in the Kittiwake area from Centrica.
Notary Public in Scotland
2001 - Qualified in England and Wales
2000 - Qualified in Scotland
1998 - Dip LP, University of Dundee, Dundee
1997 - LLB (Hons), University of Dundee, Dundee
Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
Associate, Centre for Energy Law, University of Aberdeen
Author of chapters on:
"Acquisitions and Disposals of Oil and Gas Interests" in "UK Oil and Gas law – Current Practice" (Ed. Gordon, Paterson, Usenemez) published by Dundee University Press (1st Ed. 2007 and 2nd Ed. 2011).
"Oil and Gas Acquisitions and Divestments" in "Oil and Gas Production Contracts" (Ed. Jennings) (1st Ed. 2008).
"Decommissioning in an M&A Context" in "Upstream Oil and Gas Mergers and Acquisitions" (1st Ed. 2014)
"United Kingdom" in "The Oil and Gas Review" (2013 to present)
"UK" in "Chambers Global Practice Guide - Energy: Oil & Gas" (2016)
2016 - “Mergers and Acquisitions” - CEPMLP St Andrews / Dundee University Oil & Gas Course
2016 - “Default and Insolvency Issues in Upstream Oil & Gas” – Oil and Gas UK Annual Legal Conference
2016 - “Oil Price impact” - CMS Partner Annual Meeting - Rome
2015 - “Oil and Gas Agreements” - CEPMLP St Andrews / Dundee University Oil & Gas Course
2013 - “Mergers and Acquisitions” - CEPMLP St Andrews / Dundee University Oil & Gas Course
2013 - “JOAs” – Law Society of Scotland Oil & Gas Conference
2013 - “Decommissioning Security” – Law Society of Scotland Oil & Gas Conference
2008 - Regular speaker at Aberdeen University Commercial LLM on “Acquisitions and Disposals of Oil and Gas Interests”
Various other guest lectures and presenting for clients, industry bodies, at various contracts and oil and gas seminars including presentations on licensing, JOAs, decommissioning security, mergers and acquisitions, liabilities and indemnities and general oil and gas legal issues in contract.