Companies face increasing regulatory, governance and public pressure to manage and minimise the impact of their business operations on the environment.
CMS' environment team is experienced in advising both multi-national and national organisations on regulatory investigations including crisis management, enforcement notices and undertakings, interviews and court proceedings, contractual and regulatory liabilities and civil litigation.
For over 25 years, our team has consistently been a leader in the UK and Europe in specialist environment legal advice. Our work spans virtually all sectors, including chemicals, cleantech, construction, consumer products, energy, energy efficiency, energy from waste, environment consultancies, finance, infrastructure and projects, insurance, manufacturing, real estate and hotels, renewables, telecoms, transport, water and waste management.
Our recent experience related to environmental issues includes:
- Advising a highly regulated client on an Environment Agency raid and investigation. CMS successfully resolved the matter with no enforcement action being taken against our client and a senior manager.
- Advising a major UK-headquartered construction company on an investigation by the Drinking Water Inspectorate in relation to breaches of water discharge limits of an environmental permit at a manufacturing site
- Advising a waste management company on a criminal investigation relating to alleged breaches of licenses safeguarding habitats for protected species.
- Advising a multinational construction company on an investigation by the Environment Agency regarding a pollution incident at a sewage treatment works where our client is the main contractor.
- Advising a global industrial group on a regulatory investigation following claims of odour nuisance from local residents.
What clients say about us:
- "There was never a moment when we didn't feel totally supported and the sheer work that was going on behind the scenes was astonishing."
- CMS “offer broad international coverage, with a comprehensive network of local offices. The range of international advice has been first-class."
- Olivia Jamison is “very efficient and very knowledgeable,” and "a pleasure to deal with."
To find out more about other related services you can visit the Risk and Investigations expertise section.