Head of Trade Marks
Head of Trade Marks
78 Cannon Street
Sarah has over 15 years’ experience in advising companies on how to protect, monetise and enforce their brands and designs.
Sarah advises clients in the Technology, Media and Communications, Lifesciences, and Fashion and Retail sectors. She handles a broad range of IP work from devising trade mark filing strategies, conducting clearances searches and managing international portfolios, through to advising on all types of contentious matters before UKIPO, EUIPO and UK Courts.
In addition, Sarah has experience of non-contentious matters including drafting and negotiating all types of licensing and franchising arrangements and co-existence agreements. Having spent her first 5 years at a very large city firm, she is equally adept advising on the IP aspects of corporate acquisitions and disposals. Sarah also routinely advises agencies and brands on advertising issues including pre-clearance advice and assists clients with ASA complaints.
Sarah’s approach is focused on providing strategic and pragmatic advice which delivers the client’s commercial objectives. Legal 500 describes her as “‘efficient and practical' in her approach”.
- ITV on their global trade mark portfolio including on new filings, oppositions and brand protection issues.
- Microsoft on their UK and European trade mark filings and oppositions.
- Fashion clients on various IP matters including their licensing, distribution or franchise arrangements.
- Lipsy Limited on anti-counterfeiting strategies and dealing with trade mark and design infringement claims.
- A significant UK media business on the identification, clearance and registration of a new entertainment brand for use across multiple platforms worldwide.
- A technology start-up on how to protect their IP rights to put them in the best position to secure funding.
- A UK bank, a life insurance provider and a worldwide pharma company on brand protection issues including clearance of new brand names and advertising issues.
- A UK manufacturer on a High Court claim for UK and EU registered and unregistered design right infringement.
- Clients from a wide range of industries on a range of brand protection issues including domain name disputes; takedown notices and the use of keywords.
- Various clients on the IP aspects of corporate acquisitions and disposals.
2003 – Diploma in Intellectual Property Law, Bristol
1997 - LLB Law and French Law, Liverpool
1996 - Licence en Droit, Bordeaux
INTA: Emerging Issues Committee
CITMA, Associate Member
PTMG, Associate Member
March 2017 - Global IP ConfEx - Panel Speaker on international trade mark law & practice.
April 2016 - "Smart Retailers", Draper's Digital Forum, London.
October 2015 - “Mind the Gap, Keeping it Legal”, Google Campus, London.
September 2015 - "Clutter on the Community Trade Mark Register", The McCarthy Institute Trade Mark Symposium at University of San Francisco.
June 2015 - Panel Speaker at Thomson Reuters Trade Mark Conference, London.