20 Castle Terrace
Finlay is a partner in the Employment team, representing clients at Employment Tribunals.
He has an excellent track record of successfully defending claims of discrimination. He is passionate about winning cases for his clients and is a tenacious litigator, presenting complex cases in a straightforward and comprehensible manner.
Finlay is always conscious to present his clients with a clear view on the strengths and weaknesses of their cases, always mindful of reputational and risk issues.
He also works to help his clients avoid Employment Tribunal. He has represented a wide spectrum of clients at judicial mediation and regularly advises on executive terminations achieving commercial solutions for his clients.
Commended for his “highly informed, commercially aware decision making” (Chambers UK), Finlay is trusted by his clients to give them practical advice on employee relations issues ranging from dismissals and grievances to advising on restructurings and harmonisation projects.
- A public sector client in relation to nine heads of claim including various allegations of discrimination and whistleblowing.
- A national financial services client on a large scale project harmonising terms and conditions of employment following a business acquisition.
- A national media client in relation to claims of disability discrimination.
- A financial services client in a Judicial Mediation in relation to a sex discrimination claim.
- A University client in relation to claims of whistleblowing.
- A Bank in relation to defending allegations of whistleblowing and on their regulatory obligations.
- 2000 - Dip LP, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh
- 1999 - LLB, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh
- 1995 - MA (Hons) History, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen