Our early work in designing and implementing modern energy markets and subsequently guiding the sector in the push to decarbonisation means CMS is not only a transactional or project adviser to the sector, but uniquely placed to help shape its present and future.
CMS has a market-leading energy storage practice with extensive experience advising in relation to a variety of storage projects, including standalone, co-location and behind-the-meter projects, across a range of technologies.
Our recent experience related to energy storage includes advising:
- Zenobe Energy on its financing for a 100MW battery project in northwest England with Santander and subsequent financings, including advising on optimisation and BESS and BOP contracts. The planned project in Capenhurst, Chester, would be “Europe’s biggest” grid-connected battery when it begins operations in April 2022.
- Penso Power on its joint venture with BW Group to fully fund the build-out of Penso Power’s pipeline of more than 3GWh of large-scale battery storage projects in the UK.
- Statera on the disposal of a 300MW pre construction battery storage portfolio. Our role included drafting and advising on linked EPCM and O&M arrangements.
- Field on the acquisition and equity and debt financing (including drafting and negotiating EPC contracts) of various pre construction battery storage projects.
- Tesla on the sale and setting up of a battery energy storage system in Slovenia, including the performing of a turnkey EPC/installation services.
- EDF Renewables UK in partnership with Octo Energy on identifying and delivering 200MW of hybrid solar and battery storage projects in England and Wales.
- Gridserve on the rollout of its ultra-fast EV charging concept, known as Electric Forecourts, powered by solar power and battery storage.
- Eelpower on various aspects of its energy storage portfolio, including project acquisitions, battery storage supply arrangements, financing structuring and revenue stream arrangements, including participation in the Balancing Mechanism.
- Low Carbon on the development of two battery storage projects with a combined capacity of 50MW, including advising on the EFR contract, negotiating the bespoke EPC and O&M arrangements and advising on the resulting joint venture with VPI Immingham.
- Anesco on the purchase of four c.10MW battery storage projects from Green Hedge that were pre-qualified for the 2016 T-4 Capacity Market, including considering Capacity Market and grid connection issues.
- Equinor on the co-location of a 1MWh lithium-ion battery with the hywind floating offshore wind farm, including considering issues in relation to the RO and the related offtake arrangements.
- Pivot Power on the development of its multi-GW portfolio of battery storage projects, which will be the first transmission-connected battery projects in the UK, including advice on regulatory, structuring, funding issues and the procurement of development and operational contractors.
To find out more about other related services you can visit the Energy & Climate Change expertise section.