Chaussée de La Hulpe 178
Romain specialises in EU and Belgian competition law (abuse of dominant position, cartels and merger control) with a focus on the Electronic Communications and Media sectors.
Since 2004, Romain deals with abuse of dominance and competition damages claims before the judicial authorities. He also deals with regulatory matters involving the national regulatory authorities in charge of electronic communications.
Romain has acquired a deep and concrete knowledge under competition and regulatory law of questions such as dominance assessment, price and cost modelling, price squeeze tests, rebates and network effects.
In addition, he has developed a specific interest and understanding of the complex questions around data access at large scale (Big Data) and data use (algorithms and AI) in various areas and industries.
Prior to joining CMS in 2017, Romain started his professional career in 2004 at Olswang.
- Competition Law Investigations: Assisting undertakings facing complaints for infringement of competition law (abuse of dominance, cartels, etc.) and/or assessing with undertakings if their behaviour of the behaviour of their competitors, suppliers and/or clients raises competition law concerns. Concretely: Romain assists undertakings during dawn raids and supports them in dealing with requests for information, statements of objections, requests for interim measures, and appeals against enforcement decisions.
- Civil enforcement actions: Assisting undertakings facing claims for damages and cease and desist actions in national courts related to competition law infringements.
- Electronic Communications: Assessing compliance of telecoms operator’s behaviour with the sector specific regulatory framework and representing them in appeal actions against decisions of the sector regulators.
- Merger Control: preparing and filing EU and national merger notifications.
- 2003 – Member of the Brussels Bar
- 2003 – University of Aberdeen, Abdn (LL.M European and International Law)
- 2002 – Università degli Studi di Padova, (Erasmus)
- 2002 – Université catholique de Louvain, UCL (Master in Law)