Head of Data Protection
Head of Data Protection
78 Cannon Street
Emma Burnett is a partner in the Commercial Team and her practice focuses on data protection, technology and outsourcing. She regularly advises high profile international clients on her core specialism of data protection and has significant experience in information technology and intellectual property law, having previously undertaken a secondment to Royal Mail Group Limited as acting Head of the IT/IP legal team.
Emma has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, including licences and terms and conditions for the supply of goods and services. Emma is known for her proactive, solutions orientated approach and acts for clients across a wide range of industry sectors, including the technology, media and telecommunications, life sciences and financial services sector. Emma sits on the editorial board of Lexis PSL where she advises on data protection, IT and telecoms. She is also a member of the Financial Markets Law Committee, as part of which she has participated in a European Data Protection Reforms Working Group on the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation.
- A retail company in relation to a comprehensive IT transformation project with a value of between £1-2bn. The new IT operating model involves the appointment of a ‘service integrator’ supplier who will manage and integrate all IT services.
- An international telecoms company drafting binding corporate rules and interfacing with the Information Commissioners Office including assisting in the analysis of the business’ data flows, current methods of international data transfer and managing the project as a whole, as well as presenting it to internal stakeholders.
- A retail company on an MVNO creating a major new entrant in the mobile retail sector. As this was a multi supplier solution, Emma advised the business on the overall contracting structure and on each individual agreement with over 11 suppliers to ensure the integration of services, devices and systems to ensure a seamless customer experience.
- A major logistics business on the implementation of a group wide governance strategy including advising on the personal data and security issues relating to the development, launch and operation of an HR IT platform; support in lobbying and responding to the Ministry of Justice call for evidence on the proposed draft General Data Protection Regulation and on the strategic approach to a requested ICO audit.
- A leading international asset manager on a complex multi-jurisdictional project co-ordinating advice from 14 countries across Europe. The project related to the client’s direct marketing and privacy notice requirements in each jurisdiction. Emma also advised in the development of a single comprehensive website privacy notice designed to address the legal requirements across multi-jurisdictions.
- An international retailer on the unified procurement of its global communication services for all group companies in the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Russia, Turkey, Hong Kong and China.
- A retail bank on the licensing, hosting and support arrangements for a European trading platform.
- A multinational organisation on a review of its privacy policies across 85 jurisdictions worldwide.
- Clients in various sectors on installation and monitoring of CCTV and telemetry systems within vehicles, including specific advice on undertaking impact assessments.
- A retail bank on the outsourcing of its group-wide domestic and global courier services.
- 1996 – LPC (Commendation), College of Law, Guildford
- 1995 – CPE (Commendation), College of Law, Guildford
- 1994 – BA (Hons) History (2:1), University of Exeter, Exeter
- Member, the Financial Markets Law Committee
- Member, the editorial board of Lexis PSL